Two CRPF officers killed by militants in clashes in Manipur | Latest news India

A sub-inspector and a head constable were killed in an attack on a Central Reserve Police Force post in conflict-torn Manipur’s Bishnupur district early on Saturday morning, officials said. year.

Two CRPF officers killed by militants during clashes in Manipur
Two CRPF officers killed by militants during clashes in Manipur

More than a dozen unidentified assailants first threw grenades at the CRPF post shortly after midnight and followed up with a barrage of bullets, officials familiar with the matter said, describing the incident as a “premeditated attack” .

HT launches Crick-it, a one-stop destination to catch Cricket anytime, anywhere. Discover now!

“At the time of the incident, there was no electricity in the area, so security staff were unaware of it. “It appears that the attack was targeted and premeditated as several grenades were thrown and then shots were fired continuously,” said the official, who requested anonymity.

“It appears there were more than a dozen militants who launched the attack,” he said, adding that no group was identified that carried out the attack.

Two other jawans of B Company of CRPF’s 128 Battalion, deployed at the post, about 5 km west of Moirang police station, were also injured in the attack. The two, identified as Inspector Jadav Das (52) and constable Aftab Hussain (37), were rushed to Bishnupur District Hospital and later referred to Regional Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Imphal.

Watch: Manipur bleeds again: Militants rain bullets on CRPF camp for two hours after elections end; 2 killed

The post-mortem examination of the deceased personnel, identified as Sub-Inspector N Sarkar (55) and Head Constable Arup Saini (30), was also conducted at RIMS.

Speaking to reporters earlier in the day, Manipur security adviser Kuldiep Singh said: “The operation is underway and it would not be right to reveal how we are conducting the operation and the manner in which we are conducting investigations.”

Singh added that the perpetrators of the attack will soon be identified and “will be made to pay for it according to the law of the land”.

Manipur police did not comment on whether the attack was the work of the Meiteis or the Kukis.

The Meitei Heritage Society said Kuki militants were behind the attack, while Kuki umbrella body ITLF said Meitei militants had attacked security forces.

ITLF also denied reports from police officials who said Kuki militants were responsible.

Read more: Manipur: Three blasts damage bridge in Kangpokpi, days before phase 2 of Lok Sabha polls

In a separate incident, a gunfight broke out between clashing groups in the Sangolmang area of ​​Imphal East at the time of the Bishnupur attack. The gunfight left a 32-year-old man dead, officials briefed on the matter said.

Manipur has been in the grip of violent conflict for almost a year. What started as an ethnic conflict on May 3 last year, between the majority of Meiteis living in the Imphal Valley and the tribal Kukis, has turned into seemingly irreconcilable divisions within Manipuri society. At least 220 people have been killed and 50,000 displaced as armed militias prowl the streets.